Killylough topple Drumkill in Final!



This game had it all. Thrills, spills and goals galore. These two teams came to Sherlock Park for the U15 Shield Final with an urge to win. The question was only whose desire was stronger?

Drumkill started the game at a frenetic pace. They harried and hassled the Killylough players and would allow them no respite or time to pick a pass. Killylough, rocked a little by the Drumkill start, looked uneasy in the first ten minutes. This uneasiness was increased on fifteen minutes when Drumkill deservedly took the lead.

Slowly but surely, the Killylough players fought their way back in to the game. Drawing heart from their last league game against Drumkill in February when the Killylough team had been unlucky to only draw, the Tydavnet men rose to the challenge. On twenty one minutes Donal Mc Kenna lofted a free into the Threemilehouse box and Ronan King narrowly fired the ball wide. From this point on the game was pretty much end to end. Peter Mc Phillips came out of nowhere on twenty seven minutes to perfectly time a sliding tackle inside the box and stop what would probably have been an easy goal for Drumkill.

On thirty eight minutes Killylough got a deserved equaliser. The ever dependable Padraig Meehan slid a beautifully weighted ball through to Fergal Sherlock in the Drumkill box. Fergal, as coolly as an assassin, calmly slid the ball beyond the outstretched hand of Luke Perkins in the Drumkill goal.

In the game that has everything there must be a twist. The twist came only two minutes later when a Drumkill corner was lofted into the Killylough box and calmly despatched by Lee to give his side the lead for the second time.

Killylough, not to be outdone, tore straight up the field from the kick off. A fierce shot was spilled by the Drumkill goalkeeper and Dylan Mc Carey was on hand to rifle the ball to the back of the net to make the score two all at half time. This game could have gone either way.

Two minutes after the restart Killylough took the lead for the first time in the match when a Drumkill defender upturned Killylough’s powerhouse midfielder Tiarnan McGonnell in the box. The referee pointed to the spot and Ronan King calmly and coolly despatched the spot kick to the back of the net.

Daniel Mc Caffrey, on for Dylan Mc Carey o the right wing, fought like a tiger for each and every ball and continually popped up in the right place to deny Drumkill players any time on the ball.

Peter O’ Hare, who had a great game and season at left back was replaced after fifty minutes by Cillian Sherry.

The character of both these teams was tested at different times in the game and Drumkill were not found wanting in that department. Having gone behind for the first time in the game they roared back into life. Immense pressure was placed on the Killylough defence when several balls were played in on top of Darragh Mc Cague, the Tydavnet ‘keeper. Killylough failed to adequately clear their lines and eventually the ball was bundled into the back of the net for a deserved equaliser. Three goals apiece after forty six minutes.

Many games would have descended into a midfield slugfest but huge credit must be given to both teams who decided to go for the win. Many a schoolboy has cried “Next goal wins” in the schoolyard. It really seemed as if this might be the case in the enthralling tussle.

After fifty four minutes excellent Killylough pressure saw them win the ball in front of their own defensive line. A long ball was played through the Ninja like Fergal Sherlock who ghosted through the Drumkill offside trap to score. Four three to Killylough.

Killylough by this point seemed to be getting a grip on the game. Excellent work from Tiarnan Padraig, Jack and Dylan in midfield was ably supported by the energetic and ever dangerous frontmen of Ronan King and Fergal Sherlock.

Fergal was replaced after sixty five minutes by Oisin ‘Messi’ Lavelle up front. Drumkill were not allowed time to settle on the ball and a great Killylough team performance was capped by what was, perhaps, the goal of the game after seventy eight minutes. Dylan Mc Carey won the ball in the left back possession. He galloped by two Drumkill defenders along the right wing before hitting a sublime dipping shot over the helpless Drumkill goalkeeper to make it five three to Killylough.

A third trophy in two seasons is the least that this magnificent team deserved after a powerhouse performance from each and every member of the team. Well done lads and congratulations on a very well deserved win!!


Team: Peter Mc Phillips, Padraig Meehan,Donal Mc Kenna , Cillian Sherry, Tiarnan Mc Gonnell, Dylan Mc Carey, Jack Myers, Fergal Sherlock, Ronan King ,Oisin Lavelle,Daniel Mc Caffrey ,Peter O’Hare, Cillian Sherry and Mark Maguire.

Killylough into Final!
Killylough U15 team made into their third final in two years on Sunday when they comfortably eased past the challenge of Cootehill Harps in the semi-final.
On a cold and frosty evening the Killylough team travelled to Cootehill for this eagerly awaited tie. From the outset, Killylough were on top. Excellent pressing after nine minutes saw them dispossess Cootehill. Killylough’s Fergal Sherlock fired a powerful shot towards the Cootehill goal only for the keeper to parry it. The ball fell kindly to the majestic feet of the onrushing Dylan Mc Carey who calmly slotted the ball home to give the Monaghan side the lead.
Killylough, seemingly sensing that this may be their evening, continued to pile the pressure on. On twelve minutes Killylough’s talismanic striker Ronan King fired just over after a corner. Tiarnan Mc Gonnell in midfield was immense and time after time he broke up Cootehill attacks and started Killylough ones. He was more than ably assisted in this by Colm Claisse on the right, Dylan Mc Carey in the centre and Jack Myers out on the left.
Killylough doubled their advantage after seventeen minutes when the ever dangerous Fergal Sherlock latched on to a Dylan Mc Carey through ball to coolly slot the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the Cootehill net. 2-0 to Killylough.
Huge praise must go to the Killylough starting back line of Peter Mc Phillips, Padraig Meehan, Donal Mc Kenna and Peter O’Hare who stood tall and barely put a foot wrong between the throughout the match. Padraig, in fact almost scored when he sent a ball fizzing narrowly wide after fifteen minutes.
The move of the game came on twenty three minutes. The mercurial Colm Claisse slid the ball through to Fergal on the right side of the opposition’s box. Fergal, aware that Ronan was arriving at the back post, timed his pass across the box perfectly for Ronan to score. 3-0 to the Hoops.
Daniel Mc Caffrey came on for Dylan Mc Carey after thirty three minutes and immediately gave the Cootehill yet another thing to worry about. Daniel harried and fought like a tiger for every ball throughout the rest of the half.
After forty eight minutes the midfield powerhouse that is Tiarnan Mc Gonnell slid a pass through to Ronan who squared the ball to the onrushing Fergal. Fergal sent the ball agonisingly wide. Dermot and Paddy on the sideline decided to bring on fresh legs after this and Oisin ‘Messi’ Lavelle came on.
Cootehill then mounted an extremely effective attack which ended rather abruptly when Darragh Mc Cague, the Monaghan goalkeeper, stood like a colossus in the Killylough goal and pulled off a magnificent save when he smothered the ball at the feet of a Cavan attacker.
Ronan King, put the game beyond Cootehill on sixty three minutes when he dispossessed a Cootehill player and rifled the ball low and hard to the bottom right corner of the net. 4-0 to Killylough.
Daniel Mc Caffrey and Oisin Lavelle were combining brilliantly on the left flank through most of the game and Oisin got his just desserts after seventy two minutes when he sent a tremendous volley soaring to the back of the net to cap a fine personal performance. This was a great team performance from the travelling side. The game ended 5-o to Killylough who now face either Drumkill Fc or Cavan Celtic in what should be an enthralling final.
Killylough Squad: Darragh Mc Cague, Peter Mc Phillips, Padraig Meehan, Donal Mc Kenna, Peter O’Hare, Colm Claisse, Tiarnan Mc Gonnell, Dylan Mc Carey, Jack Myers, Fergal Sherlock, Ronan King, Mark Maguire, Daniel Mc Caffrey and Oisin Lavelle.

Killylough get back on track!


After two disappointing results in a row the Killylough U15’s got back on track in sty;e as they demolished a battling Cootehill Harps side on Sunday. Showing seven changes from their normal line out Killylough showed their strength in depth this season by winning this game relatively easily.

The Hoops were ahead after only fifteen minutes. The excellent Oisin Lavelle slipped the ball to his strike partner, Jack Myers, whose shot somehow made it past the outstretched hands of Cian Mc Carney in the Harps goal to give Killylough a 1-0 advantage.

The advantage was doubled after twenty five minutes. Ronan King, returning from injury, went on a mazy run down the right wing before unselfishly centring the ball for the on rushing Oisin Lavelle to score. 2-0 to Killylough.

Cootehill scored from the tip off. Poor Killylough tackling allowed a Cootehill player to unleash a shot to the bottom right hand corner of stand in goalkeeper, Padraig Meehan’s goal. 2-1 to Killylough. It was game on after thirty minutes when Cootehill scored an equaliser against the run of play. 2-2.

Many a team might have let their heads drop at this point, particularly when they have had a run of two defeats in a row. Not this Killylough team. The Monaghan men metaphorically rolled up their sleeves and dug in. The lethal Jack Myers restored the Hoops lead after 34 minutes with a sweet shot to the back of the net. 3-2 to Killylough.

The Hoops, their tails up piled on the misery when they scored again through the mercurial Colm Claisse only four minutes later. 4-2 to Killylough. The game was finished as a contest after fifty minutes when an excellent through ball from Fergal Sherlock saw Ronan King nip through to score Killylough’s fifth. 5-2 to Killylough.

The move of the game came after 55 minutes. The excellent Donal Mc Kenna, playing at centre back today won the ball and fed Colm Claisse on the right wing. Colm ran down the touchline until he reached the by line when he cut the ball back to the edge of the box and the sweet foot of Dylan Mc Carey arrowed the ball to the top left corner of the Cootehill net. 6-2 to Killylough.

Peter Mc Phillips, the Killylough centre back, is becoming somewhat of a goal machine lately. On 68 minutes he popped up in the Cootehill box to rifle a shot home after Colm Claisse had hit the post. 7-2 to Killylough. Two minutes later and a phenomenal Mark Maguire pass saw Fergal Sherlock free to calmly curl the ball into the top corner of the Cootehill net again. 8-2 to Killylough.

After seventy one minutes the scoring was finished when Killylough’s returning hitman, Ronan King, hit home the ninth goal of the game for the Hoops. 9-2 to Killylough at full time.

It must not be forgotten that this was an excellent all round squad performance. Daniel Mc Caffrey with two assists, Oisin Lavelle with a goal and an assist, Darragh Corrigan, James Sherry and Peter O’ Hare all played huge parts in this comprehensive victory.  A special mention must go to stand in goalie, Padraig Meehan, who had an outstanding game between the posts for the Monaghan team. Mark Maguire, Mark Mohan and Fergal Sherlock all had sterling games for their club and every member of the squad wore their jersey with pride. Well done.

Killylough go eight!!!


Killylough U 15’s continued their impressive start to the season with a hard fought win over a decent Cootehill Harps side on Sunday last. The Monaghan side started brightly and controlled possession early on. After five minutes they thought they had taken an early lead only for Colm ‘Ryan Giggs’ Claisse’s goal to be ruled offside. Good midfield play by the impressive Mark Maguire saw Donal Mc Kenna appear on the edge of the Cavan team’s box only for his shot to whistle past Cian Mc Carney’s left hand post in the Cootehill goal. Killylough piled the pressure on and the Cootehill keeper was forced to save smartly from Fergal Sherlock. On eleven minutes Donal Mc Kenna sent one narrowly over the crossbar.

Cootehill rallied though and the ever impressive Darragh Mc Cague in the Killylough goals had to react quickly to pluck the ball from the head of an onrushing Cootehill player after fourteen minutes.

After sixteen minutes Killylough took a deserved lead. Great work by Fergal Sherlock on the wing saw him able to cross the ball towards the oncoming Donal Mc Kenna who fired a sweet volley to the bottom left corner of the Cootehill net. 1-0 to Killylough.

After this the game swung end to end for a time with both sides coming close to scoring. On eighteen minutes Midfield Colossus Donal Mc Kenna rattled the Harps crossbar with a thunderous shot.

After twenty two minutes disaster struck for Killylough. Cootehill won a free on the corner of the left side of the box. There did not seem to be any real danger as the Killylough defence had stood resolute up until this point. However the Cootehill player struck a magnificent free kick which sailed over the head of the despairing Darragh Mc Cague to give Cootehill their equaliser. 1-1.

Things got worse for the North Monaghan side on thirty five minutes when slack defending by Padraig Meehan gifted the ball to a Cootehill defender on the edge of the box. He made no mistake and calmly stuck the ball in the back of the Killylough net to give his side an unlikely 2-1 lead.

The Hoops struck back almost immediately. The ever dangerous Jack Myers powered home the equaliser after thirty eight minutes. 2-2 at half time.

Strong words at half time by Paddy in the Killylough huddle saw a much improved Hoops in the second half. Inside the first four minutes of the second half Colm Claisse, Fergal Sherlock and Donal Mc Kenna had all missed good chances to give the away side the lead. After forty seven minutes the imperious Colm Claisse on the right wing danced through the Cootehill defence to calmly slot the ball home. 2-3 to Killylough.

A minute later Colum turned provider for Killylough’s resident hit man, Jack Myers to volley the ball home to give Killylough some breathing space. 2-4 to Killylough.

Killylough were by this point in the ascendancy and continued to threaten the Harps goal with every attack. After fifty three minutes Colm Claisse completed his hat trick when he cannoned a shot to the back of the Cootehill net. 2-5 to Killylough.

On sixty two minutes Jack Myers sent the ball screaming to the back of the Cavan side’s goals with one of his trademark drives. 2-6 to Killylough.

With the game won Killylough started to express themselves a little. Mark Maguire, (who gave a master class in left wing play) weighted a perfect through ball which was duly dispatched with aplomb to the top corner by Fergal Sherlock. 2-7 to Killylough.

Cootehill’s never say die attitude got some reward on sixty seven minutes when they caught the Killylough ‘keeper napping and scored with a delightful chip to make it 3-7.

Killylough continued to play with controlled aggression and seemed determined to make up for their error in the third Cootehill goal. This they did in style when Mark Maguire capped a phenomenal display on seventy eight minutes with a well-deserved goal to blast the ball to the back of the Harps net. The game finished 3-8 to Killylough. Nine points out of a possible twelve reflects an excellent start to the season. 

Lion Tamers!


In a one sided encounter Killylough knocked a hard working Carrick Rovers Lions side for seven at Gortakeegan on Sunday November 3rd.

Showing wholesale changes to their starting line-up Killylough set about this game quickly. The drama started early when Killylough earned a penalty in only the fourth minute. This was duly dispatched by Killylough’s top scorer Jack Myers to give the Hoops a deserved one nil lead. After seven minutes the lead was extended when Jack slotted the ball home again to put Killylough 2-0 up.

The Carrick defence was under a lot of pressure at this point with Fergal Sherlock in particular causing them all sorts of trouble. Fergal had several shots and headers saved before he finally broke Carrick hearts and wrapped up the points for Killylough with a delightfully delicate header into the corner of the Lions net. 3-0 to the Hoops.

Not to be outdone Killylough’s extremely hard working right back, Tiarnan McGonnell, popped up on thirty five minutes to put Killylough 4-0 up. Killylough should have seen it through to half time at 4-o but a combination of inattention; poor passing and complacency allied with some very good Carrick play saw them earn a penalty at the stroke of half time. They duly dispatched it past the outstretched hands of the Hoops Keeper Darragh McCague to make it 4-1 at half time.

Some stern words from Paddy and Dermot at half time saw a rejuvenated Killylough come out in the second half. Ronan King was replaced by Mark Mohan on the right wing at half time as his injury flared up on him again.

The excellent Tiarnan McGonnell took a leaf out of Robin Van Persie’s book on 48 minutes when he popped up in the box to score with an outstanding volley. 5-1 to Killylough.

Daniel McCaffrey and Peter O’ Hare came on early in the second half and both players put in herculean performances in their respective positions.

Sloppy Killylough play saw Carrick score a deserved second goal when they picked up a loose Hoops ball and burst through the Killylough defence to blast the ball home. 6-2 to Killylough.

The game was well and truly wrapped up in the 56th minute when Fergal Sherlock scored his second and Killylough’s seventh. 7 – 2 to Killylough was how the game finished and three more valuable points are in the bag.

Killylough 6 Carrick Rovers Lions 2


A severely depleted Killylough side made the trip to Carrickmacross for this league encounter. Both teams knew each other of old as they had met in the league and cup last year.

Killylough, making several changes from the team defeated the week before by Monaghan United, made the early running and immediately put the Carrick defence under pressure. After thirteen minutes they struck. A superb ball over the top played Jack Myers in the north Monaghan assassin duly sent the ball to the back of the net. One nil to Killylough.

Killylough continued their good start compressed most of the play into the Carrick half for the rest of the half. Mark Maguire and Finn Mc Carney for Killylough controlled the midfield while Dylan Mc Carey and Peter Mc Phillips were imperious in central defence for the north Monaghan outfit. After twenty six minutes Killylough’s Mark Mohan popped up unmarked in the Carrick box to ram the ball home after a melee. Two nil to Killylough.

The Carrick Lions lived up to their name and came roaring back four minutes later. A superb run through the centre of the field saw their attacker cooler put through and he duly sent the ball to the bottom corner past the outstretched hands of stand in keeper, Conor Caulfield. Two one to Killylough at half time.

The second half started brightly for Killylough when they picked up where they had left off. The hard working corner backs of Darragh Corrigan and James Sherry rampaged up the wings to assist wingers Tiarnan Mc Gonnell and Mark Mohan.

The Killylough team talk at half time concentrated on keeping the ball and continuing to work hard.

On forty four minutes Killylough’s two goal advantage was restored when Mark Maguire skipped past a Carrick challenge and crossed the ball to Jack Myers on the back post. Jack headed the ball back across goal towards the onrushing Tiarnan Mc Gonnell who nodded the ball home at the near post. Three one to Killylough.

By this point Killylough were well on top and this was emphasised when they went further ahead on forty seven minutes. A Killylough corner was cleared by the Carrick defence but it fell to the silky feet of Peter Mc Phillips. Peter unleashed an unstoppable dipping shot to make it four one to Killylough.

On fifty minutes Killylough made a change bringing Gavin Mc Phillips on for the hard working Daniel Mc Caffrey. Gavin had an almost immediate impact when he fired in a rebound from a Mark Maguire shot on sixty two minutes to make it five one to Killylough.

Daniel Mc Caffrey was restored to the pitch at this point. His rampaged up the right wing and was unlucky on several occasions not to create scoring opportunities for his teammates.

Mark Maguire capped a fine display in the centre of the field with a mazy run and shot up the left wing after seventy three minutes to put Killylough a stunning six one up. With the game won Killylough took their foot off the pedal a little and Carrick, to their credit, took advantage right at the death when a long ball over the top sent their striker through to make it six two at full time.

This was an excellent display from a very understrength Killylough team. Well done lads!

Killylough do the double!


089Killylough U14’s ended the season in style when they defeated Carrick Rovers Lions to life the Championship League Cup and completed a memorable season for the North Monaghan club.

Fresh from winning the league on the same ground last week, Killylough looked lean and hungry for more silverware as this match kicked off.

Carrick Rovers Lions have given Killylough several scares this season and were not about to roll over though. Some great work by the Carrick midfield saw a magnificent shot head towards the Killylough net. Everyone in the ground thought that it was going in but Darragh Mc Cague in the Hoops goal pulled off the save of the season and somehow clawed the ball round the post.

Midfield dynamo Colm Claisse began to dominate the middle of the field and his efforts were rewarded after twelve minutes when The Hoops took the lead. The energetic Ronan King dropped a free kick on the head of the on rushing Padraig Meehan at the back post who duly scored his first goal of the season with a thumping header. 1-0 to Killylough.

Killylough, having learned what can happen when you sit back against quality teams like Carrick, pushed on looking for a second. Oisin Lavelle, up front for Killylough, was a constant threat and he duly added a second after twenty minutes when he bundled the ball in to the back of the Carrick net. 2-0 to Killylough.

Things went from bad to worse for Carrick only two minutes later when their ‘keeper somehow dropped a Mark Maguire shot and the ball squirmed over the line. 3-0 to Killylough. This was the way it stayed until half time.

The emphasis at half time was on supporting the attacking player and making sure to keep up the work rate. Carrick Rovers must have been listening as they started the second half very brightly and scored a delightful goal from a free kick not long after the restart. 3-1 to Killylough.

Carrick applied severe pressure at this point to the Killylough midfield and defence but the North Monaghan boys held strong. The excellent Peter Mc Phillips and Padraig Meehan in the centre of defence mopped everything that came their way. Peter O’ Hare in left back and Dylan Mc Carey in right back plied their trade efficiently and, at times, spectacularly.

After forty nine minutes Killylough sealed the win when Fergal Sherlock sprung the Carrick offside trap to slide the ball to the back of the net. 4-1 to Killylough.

On fifty nine minutes Oisin ‘Messi’ Lavelle popped up in the box to score his second of the day and Killylough’s fifth. 5-1 to Killylough.

Carrick Rovers, to their credit, did not drop their heads and stuck manfully to their task. The hill they had to climb became a mountain though on sixty two minutes when the sublimely skilful Tiarnan McGonnell scored to make it six to Killylough. 6-1 to Killylough.

The match swung end to end after this but ended with the score standing at six goals to one. This game was a lot closer than the score line suggests and great credit must go to both teams for the way in which they approached it.

Killylough Captain Mark Maguire accepted the cup on behalf of his team and thanked his teammates, managers, parents and opponents for making the win possible.

058Team: Darragh Mc Cague, Padraig Meehan, Peter Mc Phillips, Peter O’Hare, Mark Mohan, Mark Maguire, Colm Claisse, Ronan King, Niall Sherry, Dylan Mc Carey, Darragh Corrigan, Tiarnan Mc Gonnell, Fergal Sherlock, Luke Mulligan, Jack Myers, Oisin Lavelle



Cup-presentationKillylough U14’s capped an excellent season with silverware when they defeated Cavan Celtic 3-2 in a league playoff today.

This was a pulsating game played on Cootehill Harp’s immaculate Astro pitch and could have gone either way.

Both teams knew going in to this game that the league title was on the line but there was no nerves evident on either side. Killylough got off to a good start and applied some good pressure to the Cavan midfield and defence. This paid off after nineteen minutes when Killylough’s top scorer, Ronan King, made a sally down the right wing skipping by several desperate Cavan tackles. From a position near the corner flag he sent a cross towards the Cavan goal which somehow eluded everyone and crashed in to the back of the Cavan net.

Killylough took charge of the game at this point and went in at the break a goal to the good.

The second half started much the same and the Hoops were running through the Cavan midfield at will. Colm Claisse and Dylan McCarey were bossing midfield while Ronan and Tiarnan on the wings were putting serious pressure on the Cavan defence. The sure footed Cillian Sherry and Darragh Corrigan were immense. Padraig Mehehan and the ever impressive Peter McPhillips mimicked Marshal Petain at Verdun and roared “They shall not pass!.” Fergal Sherlock and Jack Myers up front dragged the Cavan defence all over the park leaving room for the wingers to get in behind.

A second goal duly arrived courtesy of the foot of Donal McKenna. Killylough were cruising. Games between these two teams have been tight all season and this one was to turn out to be no exception.

Cavan Celtic roared back into the game when they managed to put a five minute spell of total football together. Some good work by the Cavan midfield saw a strong shot hurtling towards the Killylough net. An excellent save by Darragh in the Hoops goal unfortunately rebounded to the onrushing Cavan attacker who buried it in the back of the Killylough net. 2-1 to Killylough with nineteen minutes gone of the second half.

Two minutes later and Cavan were level. A carbon copy of the first goal saw the Cavan support go wild as they levelled a game in which, to be honest, they had looked out matched up until that point.

Other Teams may have crumbled under the Cavan onslaught but these men from Tydavnet are made of hardier stuff. They picked themselves up, dusted themselves down and went in search of a winner. There would be no extra time or penalties if they had anything to do with it.

Cup-winnersFor the first time in perhaps ten minutes Killylough began to find their pass. Colm Claisse in the Killylough midfield drove his team forward and Captain Fergal Sherlock led the line like a Van Persie or a Torres.

The winner, when it arrived, had a touch of luck about it. Killylough spread the ball wide to the wings and in it came to the Cavan box. A melee ensued and Ronan King managed to get a tow to it and send it across the Cavan line. 3-2 to Killylough with just over five minutes to go.

Ignoring the wild celebrations of the travelling Hoops fans, the boys knuckled down and made sure to see the game out. It ended with a narrow 3-2 victory but the Killylough boys could not have cared less as they celebrated a famous win for the North Monaghan club. Cavan, to their credit, lined up manfully and shook hands like gentlemen with their winning opponents.

Captain Fergal Sherlock accepted the cup for Killylough and in his short speech thanked managers Dermot and Paddy, his teammates, parents and supporters. He finished off by leading a rousing three cheers for their defeated opponents Cavan Celtic.

League title clinched. Now for the cup!

Killylough-14sKillylough through to Cup final!


The Killylough U14 team took another giant stride today towards the Championship league and cup double when they defeated arch rivals Cavan Celtic 3-1 on Cavan Astro.

Killylough got off to a bright start and some great harrying and passing saw Cavan Celtic forced on to the back foot from the off. Killylough spread the ball wide at every opportunity and their two wingers, Tiarnan McGonnell on the left and Ronan King on the right drove at the Cavan full backs each time.

After nine minutes their hard work paid off. The ball found its way out to the industrious Ronan King and he sent a beautiful ball across the Cavan box to the back post. Tiarnan ghosted behind the Cavan defence and nodded the ball home at the back post. 0-1 to Killylough.

Cavan Celtic roused themselves after the goal and went in search of an equaliser. On fourteen minutes some good work by the Cavan midfield saw them drive toward the Killylough box in numbers. A good through ball sent the Cavan attacker clear where he was brought down by Killylough goalkeeper Darragh McCague said the referee. The resulting penalty was duly dispatched and all was even again. 1-1

Killylough, spurred on perhaps by the memory of their fortuitous last minute equaliser on the same ground only two weeks ago, were determined that they were not going to have to rely on luck again today. On eighteen minutes great work by Cillian Sherry, the Killylough right full back saw the ball make its way to Fergal Sherlock just inside the Cavan box. Fergal unselfishly laid the ball off to the feet of the onrushing Ronan King who sent a beautiful low shot to the bottom right corner. 1-2 to Killylough. This was the way it stayed until half time.

The second half saw much of the same. Cavan tried to mount some sustained pressure but the Hoop player’s stood manfully to their task and never really looked like conceding an equaliser. Peter Mc Phillips, Padraig Meehan, Cillian Sherry and the dogged Darragh Corrigan were outstanding in the Tydavnet men’s defence.

With just under a quarter of an hour to go Killylough sealed the win. A great ball out of a tricky defensive situation by Ronan King saw Fergal Sherlock released behind the Cavan defence. He made no mistake and calmly slotted the ball home. 1-3 to Killylough.

Peter O’Hare and Oisin Lavelle worked tirelessly to regain possession each time Cavan acquired the ball all through the match. Jack Myers put in an immense performance and dragged the Cavan centre back all over town to create space for his fellow attackers.

The Cavan team was rattled at this point and their discipline began to slip slightly. Players began to be slightly out of position and this was seized on the by the excellent Killylough midfield pairing of Dylan McCarey and Donal McKenna. They controlled the game and apart from one mazy run down the Hoops left wing by Cavan they rarely looked troubled for the remainder of the game.

This was an excellent team performance from an ever improving Killylough team. They play Carrick Rovers Lions now in the final in the coming weeks.

Honours even as U14 Championship goes to a replay!


A tense and intriguing match was played out on Cavan Celtic’s immaculate Astro pitch on Sunday last. Cavan Celtic and Killylough Fc were neck and neck going into the game and seventy minutes of football still could not separate them.

Cavan got off to a good start and after only five minutes Peter Mc Phillips, the Killylough centre half had to be alert when an excellent through ball was played through the heart of the Monaghan men’s defence. The Hoops goalkeeper, Darragh Mc Cague, was alive to the threat though and safely gathered the ball.

Killylough showed their own teeth on thirteen minutes when Ronan King fired narrowly wide. The game was on a knife edge with both sides looking threatening at times.

Cavan perhaps should have taken the lead in the sixteenth minute when their no. 9 struck the crossbar. Killylough roared back though and Fergal Sherlock drew a great save from the Cavan ‘keeper on twenty three minutes. The resulting corner was just about cleared from under the crossbar by the Cavan defence.

On twenty eight minutes Cavan broke through again when the excellent No. 9 squared the ball to their No. 7 but his shot was brilliantly saved by the Killylough net minder.

On thirty six minutes Killylough rattled the Cavan crossbar after Fergal Sherlock placed a thirty yard free kick. 0-0 at half time.

The second half started brightly for Cavan. They owned the possession for the first ten minutes or so of the half but the Hoops defence (rearranged at half time with Padraig dropping into defence and the excellent Dylan moving into midfield in his place) stood strong.

After forty six minutes Fergal sent a ball narrowly wide of the right hand Cavan post after good work by Dylan and Mark in midfield.

Disaster struck for the Hoops when Cavan nipped in for a goal on forty eight minutes.

On fifty minutes Killylough produced some fantastic free flowing football with a move that started in the back line and ended with Ronan King firing narrowly wide.

Some unusual refereeing decisions had enflamed the tempers on both teams and this boiled over unfortunately in the fifty second minute when the Cavan No. 6 and Killylough’s Mark Maguire traded blows after a challenge. The referee reacted quickly and sent both players off.

Despite adjudging both players to have transgressed, the referee dubiously decided to give the free kick to Cavan. The resulting free kick was sent into the Killylough ball where, again, the referee made a big call. He adjudged that one of the Killylough defenders had handled the ball when it was struck at him. The resulting penalty to Cavan was brilliantly saved by Darragh in the Killylough goals.

Killylough, perhaps buoyed by a sense of injustice, piled the pressure on the Cavan defence. On fifty nine minutes Ronan had a header from a corner blocked by the excellent Cavan No. 4. Jack Myers drove the loose ball narrowly wide form the left. On sixty five minutes a Fergal Sherlock free kick just sailed past the angle. On sixty eight minutes a thirty yard Cavan free was saved by the Hoop’s keeper. Time was running out for the Farney men.

Dermot and Paddy threw caution to the wind and sent Oisin, Ronan and Fergal up front. Two minutes into stoppage time Killylough forced a corner. Jack sent the ball perfectly on to the head of Ronan at the back post. Killylough’s top goal scorer this season made no mistake with a thumping header to the back of the Cavan Celtic net to earn Killylough a deserved draw. 1-1 at full time.

A pulsating and dramatic encounter can be expected in the winner takes all replay at a neutral venue in the next week or two. You would be mad to miss it.

Killylough ease past Carrick!


The seemingly relentless march of Killylough U14’s towards the title continued today with a comprehensive 4-1 win over a tough Carrick Rovers Lions side.

Killylough were taking nothing for granted today against one of only two teams to have taken points from them this season with a thrilling 2-2 draw in February.

Killylough, missing several regulars due to injury, started well and ensured that Carrick were put on the back foot straight away. Ronan King, starting in midfield, had his shooting boots on and made the Carrick ‘keeper work early on. After fifteen minutes the breakthrough came when Killylough centre forward, Oisin (Messi) Lavelle wrapped his foot around a high ball into the box and sent the ball to the back of the Carrick net. 1-0 to Killylough.

Carrick are a resilient side though and perhaps should have got back on equal terms after 23 minutes when they went through one on one with Darragh in the Killylough goals. Darragh. Though, has been immense between the sticks for Killylough this season and managed to save the ball at the feet of the on rushing Carrick attacker.

From the ensuing kick out Ronan picked the ball up in midfield and unleashed a rasping twenty five yard shot which clipped the Carrick crossbar.

On thirty two minutes Ronan scored his fourteenth goal of the season after good work from Jack on the wing. Ronan fired low to the left hand corner of the Carrick net to make it 2-0 to Killylough at half time.

The half time Killylough talk concentrated on keeping focus and making sure that the simple things were done well. On thirty seven minutes Brian Haran was sent clear on the right wing but his shot narrowly went wide. Jack sent Brian through again several minutes later and this time the Carrick ‘keeper gathered the ball well to relieve the pressure on his team.

On forty five minutes a long ball was flicked on by Brian and Ronan scored again with a low shot to the left of the goals. 3-0 to Killylough.

After fifty minutes of this pulsating game Peter O’ Hare came on in place of Oisin (Messi) Lavelle. Jack Myers moved into his more familiar territory of centre forward while Peter replaced him on the wing.

Killylough continued to exert good pressure and on fifty eight minutes Tiarnan McGonnell was very unlucky when his shot hit the post. Three minutes later Jack Myers weaved his way into a shooting position only to hit the post as well! This time, however, Peter O’Hare was on hand to send the rebound to the back of the net. 4-0 to Killylough with nine minutes left.

Cillian Sherry came on for the excellent Mark Mohan at Left back while Luke Mulligan came in for the equally excellent Darragh Corrigan at right back. The two rock like centre backs, Peter and Padraig, continued to put in an almost faultless performance. I say ‘almost faultless’ because on sixty eight minutes a long ball caught the Killylough defence napping for once and Carrick buried the ball in the back of the Killylough net to make the score 4-1 to Killylough. Killylough immediately went up the field and the excellent Jack Myers sent the ball narrowly wide for the last shot of the game.

The game sets things up nicely for next weeks’ winner takes all encounter with Cavan Celtic. A draw or win for Killylough will win the league for them while a win for Cavan Celtic will see them win the league on their home ground.

The Mighty Hoops go top!


The Killylough U14 team today showed their class when they swept aside table toppers Cavan Celtic to go top on goal difference with two games remaining.

An outstanding team performance in the first half saw the Hoops sweep into a three nil lead after thirty minutes with all three goals coming from the head and boot of the talismanic Ronan King up front. Killylough pressed, harried and chased every ball.

Every Killylough player showed a pride in the jersey that wouldn’t go amiss on the international stage! Killylough comfortably dealt with every Cavan attack and the defensive team of Peter, Darragh, Mark and the outstanding Dylan rarely looked troubled. Jack and Tiarnan on the wings terrorised the Cavan full backs every chance they got. An impressive display by Fergal in the hold between midfield and the front line meant that Killylough looked dangerous on every attack.

A little bit of overconfidence crept into the Killylough team however and Cavan scored their first just on the stroke of half time when a through ball was not swept up by the defence and the rebound from the ‘Killylough keeper was bundled into the back of the net. Three – one at half time.

The Killylough team talk at half time concentrated on keeping the good aspects of their play going while emphasising that the game was not one yet. As if to prove this point Cavan scored within two minutes of the second half starting. Three – two and game on.

The game was nip and tuck for a while after this with both sides exerting good pressure. The industrious Ronan up front harried and pressed for every ball while Colm and Mark in midfield were immense.

On the schoolyard the cry often is ‘next goal wins’ and so it was in this game. Brian Haran on the left wing chased down a through ball which the Cavan ‘keeper failed to deal with and he bundled the ball into the net to score what proved to be the final goal of the game.

A thoroughly deserved win for the Hoops sees them go top of their division on goal difference. Well done boys!

Under 14’s


The lads had no game at the weekend as Kingscourt could not field. We were awarded a two nil win and currently sit proud at the top of the division on goal difference from Cavan Celtic. Cavan, however, have a game in hand.

U 14 Championship  League Table   (11/3/13)










1 Killylough 12 10 1 1 45 16 29 31
2 Cavan Celtic 11 10 1 0 38 14 24 31
3 Cootehill Harps 14 7 2 5 60 49 11 23
4 Carrick Rovers Lions 13 5 3 5 35 36 -1 18
5 Cavan Shamrock Tigers 14 3 0 11 31 58 -27 9
6 Kingscourt Harps 14 0 1 13 23 59 -36 1

Killylough Dig Deep

Cootehill Harps 3      Killylough      5


They came, they saw, they stumbled and eventually they conquered.  This sums up a highly entertaining U14 Championship game in Cootehill on Sunday when a severely under strength Killylough team came looking for three points.

Shorn of their first choice goalkeeper, centre back and both full backs Killylough knew that they would be up against it.

And early kick off (11am) saw Cootehill get off to the best possible start when they scrambled the ball into the Hoops net after only five minutes. 1-0 to Cootehill.

Killylough, though, are made of stern stiff this season and they showed their own teeth after nine minutes when the excellent Ronan King rattled the crossbar with a shot from fully fifty yards.

Cootehill went further ahead after twelve minutes when stand in goalie Tiarnan McGonnell made an excellent save. The Hoops defence was asleep though and Cootehill dispatched the loose ball calmly to the back of the net to garner a two goal advantage. 2-0 to Cootehill.

Prospects looked bleak for Killylough at this point. Cootehill were winning the ball easily in the middle of the field and playing some excellent attacking football. Dermot and Paddy decided a change needed to be made and Brian Haran came on for Oisin Lavelle on the wing.

Killylough began to apply some pressure of their own and Cootehill reverted to a counter attacking game. On twenty five minutes Killylough got back in the game. Tiarnan sent the kick out on to the head of Colm Claisse who nodded it on for Jack Myers. Jack calmly slotted the ball home. 2-1 to Cootehill.

Cootehill, however, are a resilient outfit and they restored their two goal cushion after thirty two minutes when they beat the visitor’s offside trap to score their third goal. 3-1 to Cootehill at half time.

Words of wisdom dispensed, the second half started brightly for Killylough. From the tip the ball was slid out to Brian Haran on the wing. He laid it off to Ronan King who looked up and unleashed an unstoppable twenty five yard screamer to the back of the Cootehill net. 3-2 to Cootehill.

The game was level just two minutes later when a Killylough counterattack saw the hard working Fergal Sherlock lay the ball off to Colm Claisse who drove it to the back of the net. 3-3.

After forty minutes Killylough turned the screw again. Fergal beat the offside trap and slotted the ball home to give Killylough the lead for the first time in the game. 3-4 to Killylough.

Cootehill, rocked by the concession of these quick goals didn’t give up. A quick counter attack by Killylough saw a handball claim given by the referee after forty two minutes. Ronan King took the resulting penalty but it was brilliantly saved by the Cootehill ‘keeper.

The Hoops pushed on, looking for another goal. On forty seven minutes Fergal was through one on one with the keeper but again he was thwarted by the Cavan net minder. Indeed, Cootehill could have levelled matters after fifty minutes when it required a goal line clearance by the hard working Brian Haran to save an almost certain goal.

Games on Astro turf are hard on the legs and on fifty nine minutes Dermot and Paddy decided to send on some fresh legs in the shape of Oisin Lavelle. He made an almost instant impact when he had a shot saved well on the near post.

After sixty four minutes Ronan King again rattled the woodwork when he hit the post.

The points were wrapped up for Killylough after sixty six minutes when Oisin made excellent progress down the wing to the by line. He then held the ball up waiting for the right moment to pass to the oncoming Fergal Sherlock who calmly slotted the ball home. 3-5 to Killylough.

Killylough Run Riot!!

Killylough 9               Cavan Shamrock Tigers                  2


The day was bright, the pitch was immaculate and the atmosphere relaxed. All the ingredients were there for a good afternoon’s football. We were not to be disappointed.

After a disappointing draw last week the Hoops were determined to get off to a good start. This was not to be however as the Shamrocks pounced on some sleepy Killylough defending to go ahead after only two minutes. 0-1 to Cavan Shamrocks. Killylough have learned a lot this season however and they did not allow their heads to drop. They gradually ground their way into this game and deservedly got their equaliser after twenty minutes. The hard working Jack Myers up front put pressure on the Cavan defence and charged down an attempted clearance which he then calmly slotted to the back of the Cavan net. 1-1 all.

Killylough, their tails up, pushed for another goal. After great work on the flank Tiarnan McGonnell hit the post but Jack Myers was there again to knock in the rebound to give the Hoops a deserved lead. Twenty two minutes gone and it was 2-1 to the Tydavnet men.

Cavan Shamrocks, on a decent run of form themselves, drew level just three minutes later. A loose ball out of the Hoops defence was picked up by the Cavan attackers and a looping shot found its way into the back of the Killylough net. 2-2 after twenty five minutes.  Game on.

Great work by Fergal and Colm in midfield for the Hoops saw the ball sent out to the right wing after thirty minutes. Ronan King and Tiarnan worked the ball down the wing brilliantly between them and crossed the ball in for Oisin Lavelle to give Killylough the lead when he crashed the ball in off the post. 3-2 to the Hoops.

Killylough, sensing that there was another goal in the game for them pushed forward. Their industry was rewarded just before half time when the hard working Tiarnan scored with a ricochet to make it 4-2 to Killylough at half time.

The Killylough which emerged in the second half was a lean, mean goal scoring machine. After thirty nine minutes Killylough turned the screw on this hardworking Cavan team when Colm Claisse, who had been imperious all day in the centre of the park, drove forward past several despairing Cavan tackles and slotted the ball home to give the Hoops a three goal cushion. 5-2 to Killylough!

After forty five minutes they were at it again. Tiarnan unleashed an unstoppable dipping shot which beat the Cavan ‘keeper and extended the Hoops lead to four. 6-2 to the Hoops.

At this point Dermot and Paddy decided to make some changes to freshen things up. Tiarnan was replaced by Peter O’ Hare while the industrious Luke Mulligan was replaced by Darragh Corrigan. Killylough still surged forward in search of goals…

With fifty five minutes gone another change was made by the Killylough management team. Brian Haran came on up front in place of the excellent Oisin Lavelle and immediately made an impact. A jinking run saw him beat several Cavan defenders before blasting it in on the ‘keeper’s near post. 7-2 to Killylough.

On fifty seven minutes Jack Myers got his well-deserved hat trick with a wickedly powerful dipping shot from twenty yards which dipped under the crossbar at the last minute. 8-2 to the Hoops.

With five minutes to go a last ditch Cavan tackle saw the referee award a penalty to Killylough. Brian, manfully took the responsibility and calmly send the ball to the back of the Cavan net for the last time. 9-2 to Killylough.

Shortly afterwards the referee blew his whistle and the Hoops celebrated an excellent victory by shaking hands with their Cavan opponents. Sportsmanship at its best.

CMUL    U14  Championship Division

Rampant Killylough hit Cootehill for five!


A cold and wet day at Gortakeegan brightened considerably for the Celts when they demolished table toppers Cootehill Harps in the league on Sunday. The instructions were simple from Paddy and Dermot. Compete for every ball, play for each other and keep the shape. The lads did this and more!!

Killylough started off extremely brightly and immediately pressurised the Cootehill goal. Several good attacks down both wings had the Cootehill backs under serious pressure. After four minutes Killylough struck. A stinging shot was well parried by the Cootehill keeper but Jack Myers, alive and alert, was following in and struck the ball cleanly to the back of the net. One nil to Killylough. The tone of the first half was set.

Killylough, playing some magnificent football continued to press looking to extent their lead. Cootehill, to their credit stood manfully to the task and the number four especially was a colossus at the heart of their defence. However the pressure had to tell. On twenty seven minutes great work by Ronan King on the right wing saw the ball crossed perfectly into the box to be met by the head of Tiarnan Mc Gonnell who calmly nodded the ball home. Two nil to the Celts.

Killylough were well on top at this point and extended their lead a mere two minutes later. On twenty nine minutes Colm Claisse capitalised on a rare instance of poor Cootehill defending and slotted the ball home for Killylough’s third. Three nil to the Hoops. It stayed this way until half time.

Cootehill started the second half with fight in their bellies. They were determined that they would not relinquish the points without a fight. They maintained strong pressure on the excellent Killylough defence. Mark Mohan and Dylan Mc Carey excelled at full back throughout the game while Padraig and Peter in the centre were their usually rocks upon which the waves break!

Earlier in the season Killylough had gone four goals up against the same opposition only to almost see it slip away when Cootehill hit two quick goals in succession. It must have seemed like déjà vu to the on looking hardy Hoops supporters when, on thirty seven and forty two minutes respectively Cootehill scored bring the game back to a nervy three-two. Lesser teams might have crumbled under this Cootehill onslaught but the men are made of sterner stuff in Tydavnet in seems. They did not crumble. Instead they rose to the occasion and restored daylight between the teams after forty five minutes when the imperious Colm Claisse netted his second of the day. Four – two to Killylough.

Both sides threatened after this. Darragh, in the Hoops goal alertly dashed off his line on several occasions to snuff out a dangerous Cootehill attack. Killylough, with the scent of blood in their nostrils, wanted a fifth. It duly came after sixty minutes with an impudent lofted shot from the ever dangerous Tiarnan McGonnell. Five – two to the Hoops.

Dermot and Paddy brought on several players to add freshness to the attack. Darragh Corrigan came on for Jack Myers up front, Luke Mulligan came on for Tiarnan Mc Gonnell and Peter O’Hare came on for the excellent Ronan King on the right wing.

In the last minute Killylough almost got a sixth. A great ball out to the wing allowed Peter O’Hare to race in from the wing towards goal. He unleashed a great shot only for the Cootehill goalie to pull off the save of the day diving to his left.

After this the referee blew his whistle and Killylough’s march up the table continues. Final score Killylough FC 5 Cootehill Harps 2.

Killylough Progress!


The Killylough U14 team progressed to the next round of the League cup on Sunday after an entertaining and hard fought encounter with Carrick Rovers Lions at Gortakeegan.

Both sides started nervously with Carrick perhaps shading the opening exchanges. Some good work by Carrick on their left wing saw Darragh Corrigan, the Killylough Right Back, forced to curtail his forward play and concentrate on his defending. A job he did manfully. The Hoops defence, marshalled as usual by the magnificent centre half pairing of Padraig Meehan and Peter McPhillips, weathered the storm easily however. Just as Killylough looked to be getting a grip on the game disaster struck when the unfortunate Darragh Corrigan was judged to have fouled a Carrick attacker in the box. Penalty. The Hoops protested strongly but to no avail. The spot kick was dult despatched despite a good attempt to save it by Darragh Mc Cague in the Hoops goal. 1-0 to Carrick.

Killylough, just like Manchester United this season, refused to drop their heads when going a goal down. They roared into action and were soon level when the inspirational Fergal Sherlock netted to bring the sides level. 1-1 at half time.

The Killylough bench made a change at half time bringing on Dylan Mc Carey for Darragh Corrigan. The game resumed with both sides trading attacks. The home side seemed to have things well under control when a misplaced pass in midfield saw Carrick score their second. At this point Killylough were feeling the pressure and some words were exchanged between team mates. Cooler heads prevailed though and Killylough started to edge their way back in to the game again.

Cometh the hour cometh the man as they say and the man of the hour was most definitely Ronan King. Missing due to injury for the last few games Ronan’s ability to turn a game on its head was demonstrated here. A mazy run down the right wing saw him bear in on goal. The whole ground held its breath to see what would happen. Ronan made no mistake, blasting Killylough level with ten minutes to go. 2-2. Ronan wasn’t finished however. The sharpshooter made sure his team would progress to play Drumkill in the next round when he slotted home a third with around five minutes to go. 3-2 and the Hoops tails were up.

Mark Mohan was replaced by Oisin Lavelle on the right wing and Oisin had no sooner got on the pitch than he jinxed his way past several defenders to force a corner. From the resulting corner Carrick cleared it out but only to a Killylough player. The ball eventually fell to Oisin’s feet and he swivelled and rifled the ball to the back of the Carrick net. 4-2 to the Hoops. Peter O’Hare replaced Cillian G. Sherry in the closing stages as the home side looked ensure progress which they duly did.

Killylough emerge from the fog to defeat Kingscourt Harps!


On Sunday 25th last the Killylough U-14 team secured all three points in a hard fought battle against Kingscourt at a very cold and foggy Mount Saint James Pitch in Kingscourt.

There was considerable doubt as to whether the match would even be played as conditions were truly terrible. With temperatures hovering around zero and a fog which clung to the pitch it was touch and go whether the game would be played. However conditions abated enough for the referee to decide to go ahead.

Killylough, keen to put last week’s disappointing defeat behind them were eager for the off but it was Kingscourt that started the brighter on their home turf. Long balls into the heart of the Killylough defence out the Hoops under some good early pressure. Killylough maintained great concentration though but try as they might they just couldn’t get their normal slick passing game going. Chances still came a begging for the Hoops though with Fergal, Jack, Dylan and Tiarnan all missing good chances to put their team ahead. Central defender Padraig Meehan came the closest though when he hit the bar after 15 minutes. Half time came with the score deadlocked at nil nil.

In the second half Killylough raised their game considerably. Passes started to be found and the ball was fed out to both wings on a more regular basis. Tiarnan Mc Gonnell on the left and Mark Mohan on the right began to push the Kingscourt defenders on to the back foot.

On 47 minutes Darragh Corrigan made a great burst forward from right back which resulted in a corner for Killylough. Kingscourt were rocking by this stage and a Killylough goal seemed only a matter of time. It duly came when Mark Mohan scored from a corner after another quick and decisive Killylough attack. Killylough could smell blood at this point and Tiarnan Mc Gonnell almost added a second soon after. To their credit, Kingscourt mounted a creditable fight back towards the end of the game searching for an equaliser. However it was not to be as this talented Killylough squad showed their clinical and professional side by forcing a mistake from the Home ‘keeper. A rushed clearance went straight to the ever dangerous Jack Myers who calmly slotted the ball home to wrap up the points and break Kingscourt hearts. Final score from a freezing and foggy Kingscourt was Kingscourt Harps 0 Killylough 2.

Cavan Monaghan Underage League         U-14 Championship


Killylough 0               Cavan Celtic 1

Cavan Celtic edged a very tight top of the table game in Gortakeegan on Sunday 18th last. Both teams were very evenly matched and the game could have swung either way right up until the final whistle.

Cavan started the brighter of the two teams and the Killylough defence was forced to soak up some strong pressure conceding several corners in doing so. The Killylough defence, marshalled by the superb Padraig Meehan and Peter Mc Phillips, withstood the onslaught without too much difficulty however. After ten minutes Killylough, who started without their talismanic winger Ronan King, absent through injury, started to find their game and exerted pressure of their own on the Cavan defence.

This set the pattern for the game with both teams enjoying possession and spells of pressure. Killylough, through the excellent Fergal Sherlock came close to scoring on several attacks but the ball rolled agonisingly wide of the post on each occasion. Half time came with both teams deadlocked at nil all.

The second half provided more of the same with each side gaining the upper hand at different times in what was, it must be said, a thoroughly absorbing encounter. The Cavan breakthrough came when a Killylough ball out of defence was intercepted and the Cavan player brushed past a Killylough defender and slipped the ball past the outstanding Darragh McCague in the Killylough goals. One nil to Cavan after 55 minutes.

To their immense credit Killylough responded excellently. They played with pride, passion and determination. Colm Claisse and Mark Maguire were immense in midfield while Tiarnan McGonnell and Mark Mohan terrorised both Cavan wing-backs on every attack.

The whole ground thought that Killylough had grabbed a deserved equaliser when the ball seemed to roll into the Cavan net on 62 minutes. However the Cavan defence somehow managed to scramble the ball from the goal line. Despite strong Killylough protests the referee declared that it was not a goal.

Neither side gave up and both had chances to score in the remaining few minutes. When the whistle finally blew relief was evident on the Cavan faces as they knew that they had been very lucky to secure the points. The Killylough team can take huge pride from their performance and need fear nobody in the division after this game. Rather they are to be feared!

CMUL League


Killylough U-14         4          Cootehill Harps         2

Killylough took on table toppers and early pace setters Cootehill in a keenly contested league game in Tydavnet on Sunday.

Both teams started brightly with some excellent attacking play from both sides. The excellent Cootehill number eight pulled the strings for the visitors in midfield while Killylough’s own Mark Maguire made him work for every ball. Neither side was able to make the decisive breakthrough despite some close calls. Killylough had several excellent chances in the first half to score but Cootehill continually managed to clear their lines. At the other end the Killylough ‘keeper, Darragh McCague was in outstanding form as he thwarted Cootehill in several one on one attacks. As the half wore on Cootehill took a hold of the game and put serious pressure on the Killylough defence. However, The Killylough boys defended like ‘Tigers’ and weathered the pressure relatively easily. Cillian G. Sherry received a knock and was replaced at left back by Cillian D. Sherry.

After thirty five minutes Killylough made the breakthrough. A good attack saw the ball fall to the feet of the talented and in form Jack Myers who calmly beat the keeper to put Killylough one up with a sublime shot. Another goal followed shortly after from the boot of Fergal Sherlock. Two nil to Killylough at half time.

Dermot and Paddy made a change at half time bringing Ronan King on instead of the excellent Mark Mohan on the right wing. Killylough started the second half very brightly and indeed dominated the second half for long periods. Ronan marauded up and down the right wing while Tiarnan McGonnell did the same on the left wing. Goal number three duly arrived, again from the boot of Jack Myers. Three nil to Killylough. Dylan Mc Carey replaced the hard working Tiarnan McGonnell on the left wing. With twenty minutes to go Killylough got their fourth. The ball was fed to Ronan on the left wing and he duly buried it in the top right corner! Four nil to Killylough.

Jack Myers was replaced by Oisin Lavelle up front as the heavy pitch began to take it’s toll.

Cootehill, to their credit, did not give up. Some good attacking play allied with the Killylough players losing a slight bit of focus allowed them to nick a goal back with ten minutes to go. The Killylough keeper failed to clear a through ball and attempted to let it run out. Unfortunately the ball was taken from him, crossed into the box and finished by Cootehill. Four one to Killylough.

Cootehill, their tails up tried for a second. It duly came when they won a free on the corner of the Killylough box. Despite excellent Killylough marking the free sailed directly over everyone and into the Killylough net. Four two to Killylough. Many another team would have been rattled at the concession of these two late goals but not this Killylough team! They tackled like mad men. They took control of the game again and saw it through to the end for a very well deserved and convincing four two win.

Under 14’s

Killylough 6 Kingscourt Harps 1

Killylough got their league campaign off to a flying start with a comprehensive victory over Kingscourt at Tydavnet on Sunday 14th. Missing a number of regulars (including ‘keeper Darragh McCague and midfielders Colm Claisse and Finn McCarney) the home team got off to a very shaky start going  behind after twelve minutes when Ronan King headed into his own net. Killylough looked nervous and rusty as they continually gave the ball away when under no real pressure. However, constant instructions and encouragement from Dermot McAree and Mark Clifford on the line saw the boys eventually get in their stride and pile the pressure on a fragile looking Kingscourt defence. Some slick passing moves and good pressured defending saw Killylough get their just deserts drawing level after twenty minutes. A second goal was added just before half time. At half time Killylough were somewhat fortunate to be two-one up.

After the half time team talk Killylough started the second half brightly. Players started to find their passes and the Kingscourt defence was put under sustained pressure with Mark Mohan a constant thorn in their side on the right wing. The pressure eventually told and a third Killylough goal effectively sealed the three points. Mark Maguire was moved into midfield and the screw was turned on Kingscourt. Kingscourt Harps gamely plugged away but Killylough’s tails were up at this point and they duly took advantage knocking in another three goals to finish the game six-one winners!

Goal Scorers: Mark Maguire (2) Mark Mohan, Tiarnan McGonnell, Fergal Sherlock and Jack Myers.

SFAI Goodson Cup U-14

Ballyjamesduff 4 Killylough 1


Despite the scoreline this was a keenly contested match between two very good teams. Ballyjamesduff (Premier Division) started brightly and exerted some good early pressure on the Killylough defense (Championship Division). Padraig Meehan and the boys were up to it however! As the half wore on Killylough grew into the game and began to exert pressure of their own. Unfortunately the first goal came through a mix up in the Killylough back line not long before half time.

In the second half it was all action. Ballyjamesduff, feeling the heightened pressure from a very hard working Killylough team brought on their two emerging talent players. A real compliment to the Killylough boys! A dubious penalty for Ballyjamesduff saw them go two clear but Killylough were not to be out done. A very sharp Fergal Sherlock lashed the ball to the back of the home net soon after. 2-1 The hoops were giving as good as they got and Colm Claisse and Mark Maguire in midfield were outstanding. Disaster struck though when the referee gave Ballyjamesduff a second penalty! 3-1. Killylough absorbed some Ballyjamesduff pressure after this but broke out on several occasions with excellent counter attacks up the wings. A fourth goal duly followed as Killylough failed to clear their lines sufficiently for once.4-1.The day got worse for the hoops after this when their Keeper, Daragh McCague had to go off injured. Padraig Meehan ably substituted in goal for the injured Daragh. A tough scoreline for what was decidedly not a one sided match. This Killylough team, if they keep playing like this, will be a match for anyone in their division!

Under 15’s

Shield Winners

Killylough Under 15’s