Monaghan Cavan League Cup

Cootehill Harps 1-2 Killylough


Frequent competitors at the business end of the local Monaghan Cavan Leagues and Cups, our senior lads most recently added the 2012 League Cup to the shelf upholding the Andy Capaldi Cup from last year’s run.

Matty McCague and a John McAree penalty sent Killylough two goals clear early on and despite a late Cootehill rally including a Stephen O’Connor reply, the Hoops held on to claim the honours.




Match highlights video to follow….

Killylough Reserves 8-2 Ballyhaise Celtic


Advanced weather warnings meant an earlier kick off in Tydavnet on Sunday where the home side welcomed another club making their competitive debut in the local league cup, Ballyhaise Celtic.

The rain drizzled with kick off and grew heavier throughout as the home side adapted quicker to conditions with Stephen McKenna making the breakthrough early on. McKenna added a few more and sandwiched in between was a brace for John Harrison, including one from the spot and a left foot curler from the edge of the box which floated to the opposing top corner.

Barry McKenna and Damien Cadden scrambled home too but the plucky Celts were not to go unaccounted for as a change in midfield helped telling pressure on the home defence and forced two second half replies. The first, capitalising on loose defending to run and finish, put wind in the Cavan sails and despite a double save from the host’s netminder a second was prodded home from close range.

The Reserves now meet the club’s flagship team in the quarter final.

Bailie Youths 1-9 Killylough


A first outing for the season for Killylough FC and a welcome to the Cavan/Monaghan league structure for Cavan’s Bailie Youths on Saturday as the opening round of the League Cup drew the sides together at Clara Lane, Cootehill.

The first goal took 20 mins to come as both sides tested opposition defences in a tit-for-tat opening exchange. Then from a corner kick Aiden McCormack broke the deadlock and soon after Gary Hackett notched his first in a return for the Hoops. John Hamill and Gary Murray shared the rest in a game that went the Tydavnet men’s way thereafter. Bailie Youths keeper pulled off a neat save from a penalty midway through the second half and their spirit was rewarded late on when their dangerman throughout, Jonathon Hoey, slotted to the corner a deserved reply.

Killylough now advance to the quarter final of the League Cup to meet the other big hitters of the weekend, Killylough Reserves!

Killylough Reserves 1-2 (AET) FC Suvytrus


A repeat of last year’s Sean Woods Cup Final in Tydavnet on Sunday saw Killylough Reserves welcome Premier Division outfit FC Suvytrus. With the heavy rain of the previous days, a surface demanding well timed tackles would be the basis for 2 hours of action packed cup drama.

For the earlier stages of the game, both sides were attacking and pushing hard for chances knowing that quarter final stages mean just 3 wins away from silverware but it was the away side who took the first step with the opener after 15 minutes. With a rare passage of aerial football the ball broke to the number 18 in midfield for FC Suvytrus who caught a peach of a left foot volley 30 yards out which flew into the net. The Tydavnet side dew level 10 minutes later as a neat passage of football found Matty McCague on a trademark run from midfield and he calmly slotted low past the keeper and into the corner for 1-1. The remainder of the first half saw the home side reneging their underdog tag and creating many clear cut chances but the score would remain the same to the break.

The second half continued in similar fashion with the lower division based competitors maintaining the upper hand in terms of attacking promise. When FC Suvytrus were reduced to ten men for violent conduct with 20 minutes to go, the Villagers’ belief had climaxed to whether in normal time or in extra time, they would be the side to progress. No chances converted for either side meant that an extra half hour at least would be needed to decide this one, 1-1 after 90 minutes.

Having been in a similar position with Drumkill Rovers in the previous round, Suvytrus ran out 4-1 winners after extra time. In the final minutes of the first 15, they made the telling breakthrough by literally pipping Killylough Reserves at the post once more in the cup. A free kick close to the corner flag was met at the front post by another left foot giving the keeper no chance from 5 yards out. The hosts couldn’t make their superior numerical advantage count in the remaining time and despite a spirited performance, they would be made to pay for missed chances by bowing out of the League Cup.

Killylough Reserves: Daniel Maj; David Treanor, Dermot McCarron, Aiden McCormack, Paul McQuaid; Barry McKenna, Matty McCague, Piotr Kaminski, Kieran Treanor; John Harrison, Wojciech Gil; Pauric McKenna, Barry McKenna, Malachy McMeel.

Killylough 0-1 Clones Town


On Wednesday last Killylough F.C and Clones Town took part in the second semi-final of the league cup, which turned out to be one of the games of the season. Clones Town came to Tydavnet with a team packed with first team players and the Hoops knew they were in for a big test .When the game kicked off Clones came straight through the middle in attack, making Killylough goal keeper pull off a superb fingertip save. The first ten minutes were all Clones, but it has to be said Killylough dealt with it confidently until they got on the front foot and started to create their own chances. Stephen McKenna was sent clear on the right wing but his shot failed to trouble the Clones keeper. The rest of the half was all about defence and both sides stood strong and restricted each side to shooting from the edge of the box. A huge game in the middle of the park by Emmet McCrudden saw him go close on a few occasions. Other players had their chances but nobody seemed to get a clear one as a man of the match performance by John McAree in defence helped to see the half end 0-0.
The second half started off in the same spirit but this time the Hoops started the stronger when they were spending more time in the Clones half. The away defence stayed calm with chances falling to McQuaid, Stirrat and McCabe and with nothing coming easy, on 75 minutes Stirrat saw his free kick turned round the post. The best of the chances fell the way of the Hoops and the game looked to be heading for penalties when on 85 minutes a back pass fell short and the Clones town striker ran onto and finished well for a 1-0 lead. Killylough had a few half chances but sadly ran out of time. Best of luck to Clones Town in the final.